Academic Writing Basics
In this resource you have had the opportunity to:
- consider the process of academic writing;
- determine the type of academic writing you might be asked to complete;
- review approaches to developing and structuring ideas using concept mapping and outlining;
- work on how to develop a thesis statement or controlling idea;
- consider strategies for planning your writing assignment, including:
- drafting paragraphs
- quoting, paraphrasing, and summarizing
- incorporating evidence, and
- overcoming obstacles;
- use key questions for revising and editing.
As you work on your writing assignments, the KPU Learning Centre is here for you!
Visit the Learning Centre website: https://www.kpu.ca/learningcentres